George Langford on 1 Feb 2009 13:51:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

Art Alexion wrote:

> I ordered Phone & Internet yesterday.
... snippage ...
> I got the confirmation email with prep requirements.  Among the
> requirements is a windows virus scan.  We don't own a windows
> computer. Besides Linux, we have one Mac laptop.

AFAIK, the setup is done through your browser (mine's Ice Weasel):
"http://192.168.1.1"; goes on the address line.

The default password is "password1" and you're "admin" at the start.

> How difficult is it going to be dealing with the technician to set
> this up if we only use Linux?

Depends.  If you're gonna use wireless, be aware that one has to
play with the channel settings, and that "channels" kinda overlap
a bit ... like weak AM stations.  My missus got lots better
connectivity after a very helpful LinkSys technician sent her
new firmware.  My laptop works 100+ feet away in another building,
even in the rain under a wet roof.

> Also, I understand that we will be getting a new modem/router/
> switch thing. Our current combo appliance provides our LAN switching
> as well as being our internet gateway.  Verizon did not support the
> LAN setup with DSL.  Is this going to be a problem with the new
> equipment?

My mini-LAN consists of a Smoothwall hardware firewall on the
192.168.1.X network and two debian PC's behind that on another
network.  Never a problem, even for remote access (thanks, Linux
Force !).  The technician is usually armed with a laptop, and he
uses that to shake hands with the FIOS server.  Once that's done,
the rest is easy - just playing with the security settings.  The
router is an ActionTec MI424-WR, trouble-free in spite of the
following paragraph.

Then ... when the router seems to have died and the phone tech
tells you to reset the router (destroying your security settings)
or as the last resort (that Verizon knows about) suggests that
he send you a new router ... just be patient, because the "system"
is down ... and usually comes back up after you have expended
boundless energy troubleshooting a problem that isn't yours.

My debian updates/upgrades come through at 300Mbps; everything
else seems to be limited at the other end.

It's been working great, except for the two or three short
outages that take longer to propagate through the support staff
much more slowly than they're fixed.

George Langford