zuzu on 5 Feb 2009 19:05:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Bill Hance wrote:
>
> What I did was replace the actiontec with a linksys wrt54gl running
> openwrt. Assign all 29 ipaddresses to the external interface on the
> linksys and then use fwbuilder and iptables to assign the addresses
> and ports to the individual machines behind the firewall.
>
> Since I only have Internet access, no fone or tv (and no taxes or additional
> fees) I do not need the actiontec. If I decided to upgrade I would attach
> the actiontec to the internal interface and assign it an internal address.

I have TV but don't use the Actiontec router.  I only pay the
$14/month for Clear QAM channels (and boy is Verizon pushy about
trying to convince me to upgrade to "HDTV" i.e. encrypted cable --
including renting their set-top boxes.  I don't think they even
advertise that Clear QAM only is even an option; you have to ask, aka
"honor, not offer" -- like when they upgraded from 15Mbps to 20Mbps).
I use the HD HomeRun from SiliconDust as a networked dual-tuner to
watch TV from any computer on the LAN; MythTV and VideoLAN support it.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_tech

I'd love to use the WRT54GL running DD-WRT, but the hardware just
isn't fast enough to keep up with 20Mbps symmetric bandwidth transfer.
 I use a Netgear FVS336G, and it's alright, and technically does run
Linux (just as the Actiontec does, technically), but there's no
OpenWRT / DD-WRT port to it either.

Actually, if I were to go back to running DD-WRT, the Asus WL-500G
Premium was nicer (but equivalently powerful) router for about the
same price, but it includes two USB ports and the radio is a real
mini-PCI card.  Ideally DD-WRT would be ported to the Netgear FVS336G
or the Actiontec though; the latter has been "in progress" for a year
or two now.