Eric S. Raymond on 1 Feb 2009 12:53:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org>:
> Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to suggest to you that you
> should lie to tech support and tell them you run Windows.  It saves a lot of
> time and aggravation.

I don't do this, and have never had a resulting problem.  If anything,
the FIOS support people I've dealt with seem to find it a relief to be
talking to a customer who can be actively helpful with the network
troubleshooting.

Entertainingly, the tech who came out to replace my FIOS router when it
went toes-up knew who I was.

I have business FIOS for the static address.  Dunno if this makes a difference;
it's possible they might put the more clueful support people on that side.