Gordon Dexter on 1 Feb 2009 21:36:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New OS Major Versions

Alex Launi wrote:
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
If only gnome had the configurability of KDE 3, and KDE 4 had the stability of
gnome, we'd have two good choices.

No, then we'd have KDE 3. Gnome is good because we have not adopted the absurd design paradigm of 'make everything an option'.

--
--Alex Launi
I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree on this issue.  The thing I love most about KDE 3.x is it's endless tweakability.  Especially with dual screen real estate I like to be able to move windows and navigate between desktops with customizable hotkeys and have a side panel with 12 different kicker applets pop up when I move my mouse to the left edge of the screen.  I realize that I am in the minority, and I understand that this was the reason that Gnome was picked for the default Ubuntu release.  I'd probably choose to introduce my parents to Gnome instead of KDE.  But KDE 3 has a good niche (high-power users, which includes lots of Linux users) and KDE 4 is alienating that niche.

--Gordon