zuzu on 3 Feb 2009 09:48:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Steve Morgan <stevem.firefly@gmail.com> wrote:
> They do NOT use PPPoE for my installation and I would highly suspect
> it is the same for all FiOS installations.

I subscribed to FiOS years ago when they provided those D-Link routers
(pre-Actiontec) and before TV service was even an option.  (15/2 was
the sweet-spot deal then, now it's harmonized with NY and CT at
20/20.)  I migrated from DSL, so my PPPoE settings transferred over
too, and to this day that's how my router (FVS336G) connects to the
ONT.  I've had tech support at Verizon tell me that DHCP is supported,
and PPPoE is just a dummy account anyway (any login/pass will work,
since the ONT actually does the authentication for service), but when
I last tried changing over to DHCP (years ago... perhaps when I still
had the old style ONT -- the fat grey box rather than the slimmer
white one) it would fail to get an IP address, so I switched back to
PPPoE.