Lee Marzke on 1 Feb 2009 11:25:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

I helped a friend get his FIOS up a year ago and it was very easy.

We put a temporary computer in his basement next to his LAN patch panel
and switch.   ( maybe you can borrow a laptop  with Windows)   and asked
that
the FIOS equipment be put in the same place.  Otherwise the
techs want to run the ethernet through the house to you computer.   The tech
we had was very knowledgable and provided all the info I needed.

It's much easier to just get it working on Windows with their router, but I
confirmed the WAN settings (=PPOE) ,  login name, login password,
Nameservers
etc. with the tech to make sure I could duplicate them.

The default D-Link WiFi router
is a piece of junk and I replaced that with a  Linksys WRT54GL running
Sveasoft.  This
allows 'pseudo static' IP's ,   Dynamic DNS, and a  lot of other useful
options.

Make sure you get the loginname password for their router !, and keep
the original
router for troubleshooting any problems.

I had no problems swapping routers this way.    We did add a 13dBi panel
antenna
to beem the signal up through the house from the basement however.
The stock
2dBi antenna's don't work too well from the basement.

Lee