Art Alexion on 18 Feb 2009 10:30:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FiOS?

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 11:58:19 am Eric Hidle wrote:
> The installer is here now and he is telling me I cannot get direct Ethernet
> access. I must use their router, which does the first level of NAT for me.
> He says I cannot get Internet over the Ethernet port.
>
> Why all the conflicting stories? Who do I have to call to get this to work
> the way I want it to?

What am I missing in this discussion.  I am having FiOS installed Sunday.
Verizon sent me an Actiontec for my DSL a couple of years ago.  4 ethernet
ports and wireless.  Has worked as both a lan switch and an internet gateway
without *any* problems in those two years.

To my understanding, and as explained to me offlist by our list member who is
also a FiOS installer, the new actiontec is basically the same as the one I
have, except it receives its signal from coax instead of an RJ-45 cable.

I can run or turn off any of its features (including NAT) if I either don't
want them, or want to handle them in another way.

Other than needing a bigger, commercial grade switch, I'm missing the point as
to why anyone wants to run another router.

I'm asking a question, here.  I'm puzzled.  This is not a rhetorical question.