Walt Mankowski on 10 May 2009 07:52:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenStreetMap mapping party next weekend (5/16-17)

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 08:32:57AM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Oh, oops, you caught me out.  I'd set the map to a random location
> before I'd gotten the venue.  Fixed now, thanks.
>
> I don't know why the hospital is in the wrong location.  A lot of the
> existing church / hospital / school points-of-interest came from an
> imported USGS GNIS database.  The nice thing about that is that the
> USGS is actively seeking GNIS updates, so such things you fix in OSM
> will be exported and sent back to them.  Cooperation FTW!
>
> The traditional way maps have been produced has been to pay people to
> go out to everything you want on your map and capture its position.
> But, really, the only way to get a *good*, *accurate*, and *reliable*
> map is for it to be created by the people who live there.  It's kinda
> like the inverse of how Linux development occurs: thousands of people,
> independent of their location, can all work together on a single Unix
> kernel.  For OpenStreetMap, hundreds of thousands of people (and we're
> headed for millions) *dependent* upon their location, can all work
> together on a single database of map features.

Thanks for updating the link.  I should point out that there are
serious errors on that section of the city as well.  For instance,
it's got "Drexel University" where Penn's Law School is.

I checked my neighborhood and it's just as bad.  It's got the Bryn
Mawr R5 train station tagged as "Rosemont Station".  There's a second
"Rosemont Station" tagged about where the Stadium station on the
Rt. 100 is.  The actual Rosemont Station R5 station, roughly midway
between these two points, isn't tagged at all.  Nor is the Rosemont
stop on the Rt. 100 line.

It's great that you've got hundreds of thousands of people working on
this project, but is anyone actually checking that the data they're
entering is accurate?

Perhaps more seriously, the map indicates that County Line Rd. joins
E. County Line Rd. in Rosemont by forming the border of Austin Park.
That's completely inaccurate.  The park extends all the way to
Lancaster Ave., and the line which appears to be a continuation of the
road is in fact just a sidewalk through the park.

Walt