sean finney on 4 Aug 2009 10:11:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sftp weirdness

hi eric,

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:13:38AM -0400, Eric wrote:
> Hey Sean, sorry to have given you bad info here...  I was trying to put
> debug statements in the sshd_conf file (DOH!) which is why that quote
> was there.

well at least i got to make my pun.

> When I run sftp-server from the command line (as root) it just sits there.

yes, i think that's what it's supposed to do.

> This is the last 20 or so lines of the strace output:
<snip>
> _llseek(3, 1121, [1121], SEEK_SET)      = 0
> munmap(0xb7f05000, 1121)                = 0
> close(3)                                = 0
> dup(0)                                  = 3
> dup(1)                                  = 4
> select(5, [3], [], NULL, NULL
> ==================================

sounds like it's ending the way it ought to, waiting for input on the
control fd's or similar.

> Does this make any sense to anyone or am I looking in the wrong place :-)

did you try some of the other stuff suggested, like removing those various
startup files?  to recap:

* ~/.bashrc
* ~/.bash_profile
* ~/.profile
* ~/.login
* /etc/bash.bashrc
* /etc/profile

i'd suggest moving your own files in ~ to .bashrc.disabled, etc, and scanning
the systemwide file and commenting out anything that didn't come out of the
box.

also, i think the idea of switching the users shell to tcsh temporarily might
be interesting to try as well.

	sean