Lee Marzke on 13 Nov 2009 10:16:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] cheapass VM host platform?

Mike Sheinberg wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Thanks for your insight into the caveats of working with ghettoVCB. It
> sounds like from the way they've locked down the ESXi server that I
> won't get a free reliable backup solution without some serious
> hacking. I'm still concerned with pitching the costs of
> this to management but honestly the risk of not getting consistent
> backups utilizing our current VMWare Server is not good.
>
> From my end it also kinda sucks the level of Microsoft we have to
> deploy in order to get ESX running. Do you know if there are any
> performance concerns from utilizing the free SQL Express for VCenter?
Well,  you really only need one Windows box with SQL server express,
and maybe one box for the Vmware Client that
you can RDP into.   The Linux Client is in beta,  haven't tried it yet.

SQL Express is quoted to be good for up to 5 hosts and 50 VM's if I
remember.  The downside is that SQL Express
doesn't have automated backups,  so you should login once a month and
dump your SQL data.    Your VM's
would still run without this,  you only could lose VCenter permissions,
groupings, etc.

Also your VCenter users would be defined either on the Vcenter server (
or optionally you would need Active Directory )
I've heard that LDAP or other Linux authenication is in the works.

Yes it's a pain,  but it is good news that Vmware is finally addressing
the Linux shops.

BTW,  VCenter server uses  Tomcat internally to generate it's Web
interface, not IIS  so they just need to solve
the database and authentication issues for a cross platform solution.

Lee