Chad Waters on 13 Nov 2009 09:59:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] cheapass VM host platform?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Mike Sheinberg <x> wrote:
> Just wanted to expand on my group question to get some feedback of whether
> anyone has used any other VM solutions that do not utilize Windows in any
> way? I just noticed that Red Hat released a platform and oddly enough you
> still need a Windows client to access the management console (yeah, bizarre
> I know.). After digging around I came across the ConVirt management platform
> which manages KVM/Xen hosts and best part is the management console can be
> used from a Linux client. Does anyone have any production experience with
> such a setup? Everyone seems to have some experience with VMWare's platform
> but I have heard very little discussion from others regarding the production
> ready viability of other platforms. Which is understandable if they are not
> at this time, I'm just interested :)

I've been using KVM on Ubuntu to run test VMs, XP guest to run win
apps, etc. Nothing to serious, though.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

Maybe virt-manager is what your looking for?

http://virt-manager.org
http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/

It looks like RH is investing resources into it now they they're migrated over.

-Chad