Chris (Reddog) on 19 Apr 2010 06:52:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to manage your files among multiple PCs

While yes, dropbox does work well for managing files between a
computer at home, and one at the office or on the road.. I wouldn't
want to use it for my home media files between all my home
computers/servers.

I use a d-link DNS-323 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509 NAS
unit. It's got 2 sata bays, gigabit ethernet, and runs an easily
hackable linux distro.

You can use it as smbfs/cifs mount, ftp, as well as a few other
protocols. I use mine to store all my multimedia content, and as a
backup drive.

It makes it very easy to pull what I want from anywhere in the house,
and using sftp with my server, makes it very easy to pull any files
when I'm on the road.

Chris Callie
Mail: reddog176@gmail.com
Web: http://www.google.com/profiles/reddog176