Casey Bralla on 18 Sep 2010 18:26:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recent VOIP Experience Anyone?

On Saturday 18 September 2010 5:48:19 pm John Karr wrote:
> Who is currently using a VOIP service in place of a Landline? Who are you
> using and are you happy?

I dropped Verizon POTS a few months ago and went with vonage.   I transferred
my phone number, which went without a hitch.

I had 1 problem in that I used the vonage web page to set up my service,
instead of using the separate web page for people who bought the vonage
adapter at Wal-Mart.  This meant I never got my rebate for the price of the
adapter.

Vonage support was pleasant.  At first they told me I had to basically cancel
my new vonage account and re-sign up, but then called me back (they called
me!!) and said they could simply send me a visa gift card, which they did
within about a week.

So far, no other problems, except that my cable modem has needed to be reset a
few times in the last month (not sure why), and this meant I lost phone
whenever the cable modem went down.   Luckily, I called my wife on her cell
phone and she simply reset the modem.
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence