Art Alexion on 25 Nov 2010 04:11:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Virtualization for small system?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Richard Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On 11/23/2010 08:16 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
> That said, here are some limitations I have learned.
>
>    1. VBox will run a 64 bit windows guest on a 32 bit Linux host ...
>       but very poorly.  Don't bother with it.

One more that I'll add - I can't vouch for 32-bit hosts, but virtualbox
will not run 64-bit guests on a 64-bit host unless it has hardware
virtualization support.  Most CPUs sold in the last few years have this,
but if you have an older system you're probably out of luck.

Some of the other options only work for any kind of guest if you have
hardware virtualization support.

This may or may not be an issue for anybody, but just something to be
aware of...

Rich

Dell Optiplexes >1 year old have hardware virtualization disabled.  At the time, there was no stock BIOS that supported turning it back on.  Haven't tried updating recently. The release of Win7 kinda forced them to enable it in recent models.

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface