Doug Stewart on 3 Dec 2010 22:52:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Net Neutrality

Please don't hear me as being in favor of government-sanctioned monopoly players either. The problems with cable providers are manifold, obviously: rights-of-way, heavy capital investments, and long haul fibre networks are expensive and time consuming.

I think the ideal situation is one in which each market has multiple types of providers, ie cable/FiOS/DSL/Wimax. Each might have a "monopoly" on their method of traffic delivery in am area but they would compete across technologies.

And, in some areas, this is already the case. I'm all for removing whatever barriers to that end result exist in any given market and any Gov't sanctions that encourage such ought to be blown up post haste.

--
Doug Stewart