Gavin W. Burris on 12 Feb 2011 09:53:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dd-wrt router recommendation

Hello PLUGers,

I ordered two of these Buffalo WHR-HP-GN routers, based on the price and
recommendations.  They out performs my previous WRT54GL that had
high-gain antennas, but watch out!  Even with the latest Brainslayer
DD-WRT firmware, the wireless dies about once a day.  Maybe this will be
fixed in newer versions?  In the meantime, I had to add this to the cron
to check and restart the wireless interface on the router:

* * * * * root [ -z `dmesg | tail -1 | grep Resetting` ] && logger -p
alert "wlan ok" || (logger -p info "Bouncing ath0" && ifconfig ath0 down
&& ifconfig ath0 up)

Reference:
http://kinglee.blogspot.com/2010/07/buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-wireless-drop-on.html

Cheers.

On 02/02/2011 02:11 PM, John Kreno wrote:
> I also own this unit. It's a very good performer.
>
>  -John
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Morgan Jones <morgan@morganjones.org> wrote:
>>
>> (I'm re-sending my prior email below with less marginal English: apologies, I shouldn't write emails on the way out the door in the morning).
>>
>> It may also interest the list that the WHR-HP-G300N is available as a refurb for $35.. The difference seems to be that the WHR-HP-G300N broadcasts on 2 different frequencies and is thus true 802.11n:
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70212&sid=60e5d630ed0e0a5068d0842059dd4861
>>
>> It also seems you can double the speed of the WHR-HP-GN by enabling N-only wireless:
>> http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/only-getting-65mbps-with-WHR-HP-GN/td-p/47280/page/2
>>
>> -morgan
>>

>>> We recently discussed this router:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162042
>>>
>>> I just bought 2 as possible replacements for my aging G Linksys infrastructure.  It is in fact just a refurbished whr-hp-gn.  They shipped with Buffalo branded DD-WRT.  The firmware is a little old but up-to-date dd-wrt firmware loads with no problem.
>>>
>>> I had to look around a bit and eventually found a file downloads link on the whr-G300N wiki page:
>>> http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N_V2
>>>
>>> The net-net is you need to download whr-hp-gn-firmware-MULTI.bin
>>> from here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F12-24-10-r15962%2Fbuffalo_whr_hp_gn/
>>>
>>> That's hard to beat for $20+shipping.  Enjoy.
>>>
>>> -morgan

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer
Information Security and Unix Systems