John Karr on 13 Jun 2011 09:02:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Security Cameras

For those of you who have posted (to me) really stupid comments siding with the dog.

The Dog has a chronic barking problem. He will bark for hours at absolutely nothing (making his favourite spot less attractive by blocking his view of my house will at best cause him to pick another favourite barking spot).
The owners know the dog has a chronic barking problem.
The owners are unwilling or incapable to properly deal with the dog
The owners blame the secondary barkers when I complain about their dog
The owners do not like talking to me about the dog and need to be talked to by someone with more authority (ie a City inspector, a court summons)
Given that the dog owners have 3 lots, a double garage and a much bigger house than me, the issues aren't financial but come down to laziness and lack of respect.

If the owners won't purchase a muzzle or a barking control collar, which they can easily afford, I don't need their consent to install a barking control device in my yard -- which can also be positioned to discourage secondary barkers.

From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] on behalf of Claude M. Schrader [plug@claudeschrader.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 10:54 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Cc: jeffv@Op.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Security Cameras

On 07:14 Fri 10 Jun     , John Karr wrote:
> The dog barks because he's scared. He is an abused dog they rescued, and the owners don't have a strong discipline regimen. Unless the owners really lay down firm rules this dog won't ever stop barking. I believe the dog would be happier and more secure if they did train it properly. I'm buying the device Matt suggested and attempting to take it out of their hands. If this fails I will return to evidence collection.

if the dog is a scared, abused dog, he is a potential bite risk and danger
to the neighborhood. This is bigger than annoyance at barking. Refusing to
train an abused dog can be a really dangerous thing. Maybe the best option
would be to offer to help out with the cost of a dog trainer if money is
an issue? You could even recommend one to get the ball rolling.

Buying an electric annoy-o-tron could make him *more* anxious, and make
the problem worse.
Claude