Eric H. Johnson on 18 Aug 2011 08:16:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Finding grub

Matt, Rich,

Do you have a preferred reference on how to move grub? I did a search and it
seemed more complicated than I thought it should be, and of course comes
with the warning that doing this could irrecoverably destroy data.
Rebuilding the SATA drive would be no hardship, but I do not want to have to
rebuild the IDE drive as it would mean finding the older versions of several
pieces of software and an old version of the patched kernel it requires.

Regards,
Eric

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Eric H. Johnson
<ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:
> I could I suppose move grub to the SATA drive, but it seems to me it
should
> work as it is now configured.

I agree with Matt - probably a BIOS problem at this point.  You really
only need to install the Grub bootsector on the new drive - as long as
the "root" is set properly at the time of install it should be able to
load the rest of what it needs from the other drive.

Note that grub tends to be finicky about things and so you might need
to play with the root setting.  If your BIOS re-orders your drives
based on which one it boots from then you might need to set the root
value non-intuitively (such as setting it as 0,n for both drives, even
though you think it should be 1,n / etc).  If you get to a grub prompt
you can always try to use the find command to locate a file on the
boot partition (ie find /boot/grub/stage2 / etc).  It will scan the
partitions and tell you where it finds it from its vantage point.

Usually it just works - but it is very dependent on the BIOS.  Keep in
mind it only has a 440 bytes and then a few kb to work with to find
the boot partition, so it will be using BIOS calls to do it (no fancy
always-works linux system calls to use yet).  Flaky BIOS will result
in a flaky grub.