Rich Freeman on 20 Aug 2011 15:24:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Finding grub

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Eric H. Johnson
<ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:
> Do you have a preferred reference on how to move grub? I did a search and it
> seemed more complicated than I thought it should be, and of course comes
> with the warning that doing this could irrecoverably destroy data.
> Rebuilding the SATA drive would be no hardship, but I do not want to have to
> rebuild the IDE drive as it would mean finding the older versions of several
> pieces of software and an old version of the patched kernel it requires.

I realize that you have this sorted already, but you should just need
to run grub-install, or use the interactive version of grub to install
it.  There should be no need to generally wipe the drives.  Grub
should just write to the first cylinder of each drive.  If you're
paranoid you could copy down the contents of your partition table
somewhere - this is the only thing that should get wiped out if
something seriously goes wrong (the partition table is in the boot
sector - which is why it is limited to 440 bytes instead of 512).  If
you re-run fdisk and set up the drive with an identical layout your
filesystems should all work fine.

Again, I realize you've fixed the problem but I figured I'd post that
for posterity...

Rich