JP Vossen on 7 Sep 2011 01:34:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MythTV & HDHomeRun & Comcast Digital for Pottstown/Collegeville

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:09:57 -0400
From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>

I do not see where anyone has asked the obvious, so I will. How do you have
the HDHomerun connected to your Comcast Cable service? The symptoms sound a
lot like what happens when it scans through encrypted channels, which of
course is now the case for almost all if not all channels provided by
Comcast (certainly in the Pottstown / Collegeville area).

It's just plugged right in to the coax. We talked about this in the last thread [1]; they still have to broadcast some stuff in the clear (Clear QAM). That's all I'm paying for, and that's all I care about.

[1] Thread starting: http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2011-08/msg00021.html

I have not used the HDHomerun, but I believe it can only handle the
unencrypted channels, so channel scan isn't going to work unless you also
have the means of changing the channel through a Comcast supplied box rather
than the HDHomerun.

If I had the brand new HDHomeRun CC (cable card) unit, it could even handle encrypted, though there are issues and pay-per-view still wouldn't work. But again, I don't care about any of that.

Later,
JP