Rich Freeman on 8 Apr 2012 03:12:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sshd on sabayon

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I just tried out sabayon on my netbook.  Before reimaging from ubuntu I
> plugged into my network and mounted the drive with sshfs and made a tarball
> of my home directory.  I want to put this tarball back on my sabayon netbook
> but I can't ssh to it.  I installed openssh and started ssh service, but the
> connection from my desktop is refused.  I can ssh to localhost from my
> netbook, but ssh to my netbook from my desktop while they are plugged in
> through the same router is not working.  I'm not sure what is going on.

Can you ping the netbook?  Anything in the logs?

There are a number of things that could be going wrong:

1.  The ssh connection might not be reaching your netbook.
2.  The kernel is not passing your connection to sshd.
3.  Sshd is not running.
4.  Sshd is refusing the connection.
5.  You're not authenticating correctly.

If you're not even getting a password prompt chances are it isn't #5.

I doubt that Sabayon installs iptables without some kind of
intervention (you didn't install shorewall or something, did you?).
Most likely sshd is not running, or is not properly configured.
Unless Sabayon changed something the default configuration on Gentoo
should "just work" (you don't have to edit a config file to allow it
to start), so just typing /etc/init.d/sshd start should get it running
(Sabayon is gentoo-based).

Brent's suggested commands for diagnostics should be useful.  However,
instead of just running /etc/init.d/sshd status I'd also run:
ps -ea | grep sshd

Simply checking the service status won't necessarily tell you that it
crashed.  At least, not on Gentoo.

Rich