Conor Schaefer on 10 Jul 2012 11:27:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MOSH - MIT's Interactive Remote Shell for mobile clients ( ssh replacement )

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Yeah, that is looking really cool!!! ÂExcept...it requires a whole bunch of
> high UDP ports to be opened up in the firewall! :-(((

Yeah, that was my initial reaction. ÂI've had nothing but pain anytime
I tried to use a UDP protocol in combination with NAT, let alone
proxies.

I've been using mosh on my home server for a few months now, and I'm absolutely loving it. You're right about NAT being a huge pain, thoughâI gave up setting up mosh access on my other machines at home. Now I just keep a mosh window to my home server in tmux on my laptop, which connects to a tmux session on the server, with easy access to old-school SSH connections inside the LAN, if need be.
Another complication is that this seems to be a "mobile" shell
solution that doesn't have clients for any mobile operating systems...

OK, true, but mosh is worth its weight in gold just for anyone who needs frequent access to a machine while changing connections. On a given day, I'll use my laptop at work, at a coffee shop, and at home. Now having to destroy and recreate SSH connections while moving between these locations is wonderful.
That said, it would be nice if my ssh connections from my phone didn't
just die from time to time. ÂScreen helps, but it is still painful.

tmux tmux tmux. You'll never look back.

Rich