Rich Freeman on 28 Dec 2012 05:59:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] iDevices

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> On 12/28/2012 08:13 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> That is fairly unqualified.  :)  I prefer openssh as my ssh app and
>> server, but on a mobile device ConnectBot is probably the best one
>> I've found.
>
> on the mobile, does it have access to the entire or most of the file system
> or is it in its own little universe, like the rest of the apps I've found?

Depends on the mobile.

If you're talking about openssh, then it has access to whatever the
user it is running as has access to.  If you run it as root then it
can access anything, so scp can be used to move arbitrary files
around.  However, running apps from a terminal isn't terribly
convenient.

If you're talking about ConnectBot, it does ssh and port forwarding
only and does not run as root.  It does not support file transfer.
For that I tend to prefer AndFTP, which has two column format and
supports sFTP in the free version (and scp in the paid version).
There are other apps that work as well - such as ES File Explorer
which can run as root and supports both smb and sftp.

Rich