John Karr on 24 Oct 2013 18:49:37 -0700

[PLUG] Linux Text to Speech

I have a friend who is looking for Text to Speech software. She has to read a lot and is having some eye problems. Her primary OS is Linux Mint. I tried to get Orca working on my system, but it doesn't capture the key bindings (It is supposed to capture INS-Numpad and WindowsKey-Key combinations) and all it does read menus and window titles which is really just annoying. It looks like Orca might work better with Unity. The best thing she's found on her own is some pricey windows software.

Anyone had success with Orca or another Text to Speech solution?