Steve Litt on 8 Jul 2015 19:54:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ntp

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:35:28 -0400
Eric Lucas <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> About 2 years ago I worked, briefly, with some systems using ntp.
> Turns out if the time is off by some small amount (less than a minute
> IIRC), it simply stops changing the target system's time because it
> "thinks" something is drastically wrong.

How does the system ever get that far out of time with ntpd running? If
it happened when the server was off, the -s option for ntpd sets the
time instantly at startup, correcting any large time problem that could
have accumulated while the machine was off.

> Seems like a cron job to re-sync is a good idea to me.

Yes, that seems harmless enough, if needed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21