Soren Harward on 22 Aug 2015 15:30:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo install

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> 2.  How do you want your filesystems to work?  Is this mdadm+lvm+ext4?
>  Is this btrfs (very experimental, but if your main goal is to learn
> and not do production work there is no reason to be afraid of it)?
> GPT or MBR?  What kind of partition layout are you aiming for, and are
> you going to need an initramfs (these days I recommend one all the
> time, but some really dislike them).

When I last tried running Gentoo with an initramfs several years ago,
genkernel was flaky and it was a pain in the neck to keep the
initramfs synced up with the installed userland; it seemed like every
couple of months, some low level package would get upgraded, I'd
forget to rebuild the initramfs, and the system wouldn't come up
properly the next time I rebooted.

Even on my heavily-loaded workstation, the root filesystem takes up
only about 12G, which fits easily on an SSD without any need for
volume management or RAID or anything else that makes an initramfs
necessary.  /home, /usr/portage, and other large directories go on
hard drives with md-raid/LVM or ZFS filesystems.

--
Soren Harward