Rich Freeman on 22 Aug 2015 16:51:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo install

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Soren Harward <stharward@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Rich Freeman
> <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
>> 2.  How do you want your filesystems to work?  Is this mdadm+lvm+ext4?
>>  Is this btrfs (very experimental, but if your main goal is to learn
>> and not do production work there is no reason to be afraid of it)?
>> GPT or MBR?  What kind of partition layout are you aiming for, and are
>> you going to need an initramfs (these days I recommend one all the
>> time, but some really dislike them).
>
> When I last tried running Gentoo with an initramfs several years ago,
> genkernel was flaky and it was a pain in the neck to keep the
> initramfs synced up with the installed userland; it seemed like every
> couple of months, some low level package would get upgraded, I'd
> forget to rebuild the initramfs, and the system wouldn't come up
> properly the next time I rebooted.

Yeah, I avoid genkernel like the plague.  I use dracut for initramfs,
and highly recommend it for just about anybody, anywhere.

Genkernel isn't horrible, but like a lot of distro-specific tools it
has been supplanted by more serious cross-distro upstream projects.

--
Rich