Gavin W. Burris on 15 Sep 2016 05:25:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FOSS Alternative to ITunes

+1 for VLC.  VLC does have a playlist window with cover art.  It seems to open a huge library recursively and do it well.

If open source is not a hard requirement, but still cross platform with an open API, check out Subsonic:
http://www.subsonic.org/

Cheers.

On Wed 09/14/16 06:27PM EDT, Christopher Barry wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:48:56 -0400
> Paul Walker <pjwalker76@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I can and do just use the file browser to play music. I guess the
> >features that I use Itunes for are pretty limited - browse by artist,
> >browse by album (even this doesn't really work well on itunes), see the
> >album art and song names, player controls, build playlists.
>
> vlc does all of this.
>

> >I also use itunes to browse my phone but this is a separate concern -
> >I'll probably continue to use it for this.
>
> vlc can do this too.
>
> >I just make sure that my outbound firewall doesn't let itunes send my
> >selfies to apple or whatever.
> >
> >On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:32 AM, George Zipperlen <
> >George.Zipperlen@mail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Which aspect of iTunes do you need?  It is one of those unfortunate
> >> monoliths with many overlapping not really compatible functions. In a
> >> manner quite opposite to the Unix software tools philosophy it has
> >> evolved from an mp3 player + file manager for external device (iPod,
> >> are they still around?) into bloatware dealing with smart phones,
> >> tablets, and the cloud, while also handling Digital Rights Management
> >> and an online marketplace.
> >>
> >> Media player:    VLC Media Player with huge codec library. Open
> >> source, multi-platform. Highly recommended.
> >>
> >> Device browser:    iPodDisk is the only open source tool I could
> >> find in a quick search. Haven’t tried it. I’ve played with i-FunBox
> >> (free, but not open source). Using it in sandboxed mode resulted in
> >> duplicated music tracks.  I haven’t used it with ssh access to the
> >> iPhone.
> >>
> >> The flow that works best for me is to use command line or file
> >> browser to manage media files from other sources and players; import
> >> them into iTunes, and use iTunes to push to (i)devices.
> >>
> >> George Zipperlen
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> >> least favorite pieces of software of all time. Not to mention that
> >> it is always trying to call home, which I find tiresome.

> >> seeing a wikileaks post of a leaked promotional video from a
> >> security firm that featured itunes as the central part of a trojan
> >> horse scheme (if anyone has a link to the video please share - I'll
> >> dig deeper but a quick google search failed to turn it up)

> --
> Regards,
> Christopher

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
Search our documentation: http://research-it.wharton.upenn.edu/about/
Subscribe to the Newsletter: http://whr.tn/ResearchNewsletterSubscribe