Lee H. Marzke on 28 Oct 2016 08:28:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] printing

The problem is finding the correct PPD file for the printer,  as most manufactures don't publish those anymore,  they
are in fact hidden inside an excutable driver for the Mac or such.   Sometimes the ones on Linuxprinting.org
work sort-of,  but all the features may not work.    Brother PPD's are inside the deb package.

I've found that the MFC-L8840-CDW and Brother PPD on Ubuntu 16.04 even support showing current ink-levels,  so this is finally working
much better than in the past for all the features.   It was a surprise to see Brother scanning working with xsane on Ubuntu
as well as Android tablets with the Brother app.

Lee