Rich Kulawiec on 17 Dec 2016 10:17:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wanted: volunteers with bandwidth, storage, coding skills to help save climate data

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:22:53AM -0500, Charlie Li wrote:
> This has happened rather recently in Canada when Stephen Harper was
> Prime Minister (the PM immediately previous to Justin Trudeau). Except
> he did it by slashing budgets to government scientific institutions so
> they'd eventually shutter, and with shuttering comes inaccessibility of
> data.

To respond to this (and a couple others upthread):

1. The worst possible outcome of such efforts is that data which
doesn't really need to be backed up gets backed up.  I don't think
that's so bad.  And we may learn some lessons about how to do this
sort of thing, lessons which may serve us well in other contexts.

2. In re Charlie's comments, let me tell you a story -- a bedtime
tale for sysadmins, if you will.  Please settle in on this snowy/icy
Saturday afternoon with your favorite beverage and read on.

Once upon a time, there was a medical research unit at a major university.
They hired a new system administrator, who soon discovered -- to
his horror -- that they had no off-campus backups.  Not a single byte.
For an operation doing studies over years and decades worth of data,
this was unacceptable.

So the sysadmin set up an offsite backup system.  It had a retention
and rotation schedule.  It had catalogs.  It had encryption.  It had
compression.  It had checking (in order to avoid the all-too-familiar and
entirely sad story of we-have-backups-oh-wait-no-we-don't-they're-unreadable).
It had redundancy to mitigate most single points of failure.  It had an
archiving function for finished work.  It had a disaster recovery
mechanism (and that was tested to avoid another kind of sad story).
It was built entirely on open-source software plus a few bits
of shell and Perl.  The code was documented(!).  The code  was
commented(!!).  There was even a formal document that explained
the whole thing: rationale, policy, procedure, etc.

It worked perfectly -- zero recovery failures -- for most of a decade.
And it scaled just fine as the operation grew from terabytes of storage
toward half a petabyte.  All was serene and calm and boring -- which is
of course how sysadmins want things like backup systems to be.

But then, one day, as sometimes happens in academia, there was a shift
in the political winds, followed by a regime change and budget cuts.
And the sysadmin found himself being nudged toward the exit, along with
others.  So he did what any professional would do: he spent copious
time ensuring a smooth handoff of all functions to those remaining.
He wrote, he talked, he explained, he demonstrated, he made certain
that everything -- including the backup system -- would keep right
on going.  And he was assured, repeatedly, that it would, that it was
fully understood and that everything would be fine.

And so one day he handed in his keys and his badge and set off to
do something more respectable than sysadmin, like playing three card
monte on streetcorners in order to fleece schoolchildren out of their
lunch money.

Then...many months later...he received an urgent email.  "We have
lost the encryption keys", it said.  "Woe is us, for we can
access nothing.  No backups.  No archives.  No disaster recovery.
Surely you can fix this for us?"

And the sysadmin -- once he recovered from the initial shock -- had
to tell them that no, he couldn't fix it, for he had dispensed with
his copies of the encryption keys the day he left employment.  And
because he had chosen strong, open-source, vetted encryption, there
wasn't going to be a way around it.  All that data, all those years
of work, everything, was -- absent perhaps intervention from the NSA
or an equivalent cryptology powerhouse -- gone.

The moral of the story is that things like this happen constantly,
due to negligence or incompetence or forgetfulness or changes in
personnel or budget cuts or reorganizations or just the passage of
time.  Remember that we live in a country that managed to be the first
to land someone on the moon, but then lost the original videotapes of it.
This is the norm, not the exception.  So if there is valuable scientific
data out there, and it can be backed up [1], it should be backed up.

(As to what "valuable" means: the value of data is the cost to
recreate it, whether that cost is money or time or opportunity
or anything else.  By this metric, some data is priceless, because
there exist no means to recreate it -- at any cost.)

Let me also add that often we don't know the value of data.  Surely
there were scrolls in the library at Alexandria that would have been
considered by their authors to be far too mundane to be of any
possible future interest to anyone.  But today's scholars would
likely disagree with that assessment.  (And more recently, and
close to heart for many of us, some of the original Dr. Who tapes
were re-used by the BBC.)

---rsk

[1] Not everything can be, at least not easily.  A lot of medical research
data involving human subjects is covered by HIPAA and/or contractual
agreements with its suppliers.  This can make backups...complicated.