PaulNM on 4 Mar 2017 10:49:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

On 03/04/2017 11:55 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:

I'm not aware of any x86 motherboards where secure boot can't be
turned off or where the keys can't be changed.

I can't find it at the moment, but there have been reports of Win10 era systems with that kind of stuff blocked off.

OEMs have blocked incredibly stupid stuff in their bios/uefi implementations in the past, mostly as a byproduct of being cheap and lazy.. (Enabling hardware virtualization on processor/motherboard combos that support it, for instance.)

In the Win8/8.1 era Microsoft required OEMs to support disabling secure boot and changing keys. This was mostly to placate monopoly and hardware lockout concerns people expressed at the time. That requirement was dropped with Win10 and is now optional. (RT systems always required OEMs to disable access, though.)

-- PaulNM