Rich Freeman on 4 Mar 2017 10:57:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM, PaulNM <plug@paulscrap.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2017 11:55 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>

>> I'm not aware of any x86 motherboards where secure boot can't be
>> turned off or where the keys can't be changed.
>>

> I can't find it at the moment, but there have been reports of Win10 era
> systems with that kind of stuff blocked off.

I'd be interested in specific examples.  I'm aware that it was removed
from the Win10 requirements, but I have not heard of anybody actually
disabling secure boot on a non-ARM motherboard.

It would seem really odd for any retail motherboard to do such a
thing, because their entire market is people who want to fiddle with
systems.  Maybe I could see an OEM doing it, but I haven't heard of it
actually happening.  If it were to happen on something like a laptop
I'd be the first to agree that it would be a horrible thing, because
laptops are the one area where DIY isn't much of an option.

--
Rich