JP Vossen on 13 Sep 2017 17:02:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Can't Programmers.. Program?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Andrew Libby <andrew.libby@gmail.com wrote:
    On 9/13/17 6:51 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
    > On 09/13/2017 06:39 PM, Rachel plays Linux wrote:
    >> Well, turns out that all the noodling and playing around we've been
    >> doing, particularly Walt and I writing gists and posting them to IRC,
    >> were kinda missing the point. Because ten years ago, the day after
    >> writing the blog that sent us down this primrose path, he wrote
    >> https://blog.codinghorror.com/fizzbuzz-the-programmers-stairway-to-heaven/
    <https://blog.codinghorror.com/fizzbuzz-the-programmers-stairway-to-heaven/>

    > Interesting points and it makes me think of my related question:  What's
    > your favorite VCS?
    >
    > If the person has an answer, the answer doesn't matter.  If they say
    > anything like:
    >     * What's revision control/version control?
    >     * I don't {need,use} VCS
    >
    > Then...full-stop, out-the-door, buh-bye.
    >
    > Revision control is like breathing: it's required and I shouldn't have
    > to tell you to do it.

    I don't disagree, though I'd like to add a thought.   It is important
    to determine one has the technical and professional maturity to have
    embraced VCS.  It's also important to try to understand their reasons.
    They may have chosen a different linux distro than you, a different
    preferred language, framework or VCS.  The reasons they chose what they
    chose can tell you a great deal about how a person reasons about things.
    This can be huge in trying to determine what kind of mind you've got
    sitting across the table.

    So yes, once someone tells me they don't use VCS, I talk about baseball.
    I don't even follow baseball :-).  But when they tell me they like
    mercurial better than git and why, well then we're really learning about
    how they reason about things. Again, this is huge from my perspective.

I actually do agree strongly here, I wrote "If the person has an answer, the answer doesn't matter" to emphasize the original point. My opinion on the matter is https://www.jpsdomain.org/public/Revision_Control_for_the_Rest_of_Us.pdf which I can give as a preso if anyone cares. :-)

For the record I like BZR because it's friendly, cross-platform and have awesome GUI tools. I mostly prefer the CLI, but a a GUI diff/merge is sometimes REALLY hard to beat. BZR itself is in maintenance mode (at best), but some of the original devs have forked it out from Canonical as Breezy and are getting it going again.