Walt Mankowski on 16 Apr 2018 14:51:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] POSSIBLE TALK

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:42:52PM +0000, Rich Mingin (PLUG) wrote:
> Actually.....
>
> To be excessively pedantic, SFL doesn’t. The default distro packaged with
> early versions of SFL was Ubuntu, but SFL itself is just a kernel-to-kernel
> shim and a POSIX translation layer. Even first party, in the Windows Store,
> there are Ubuntu, Debian 9, and SLES and OpenSuSE packages. If you don’t
> mind sourcing your own rootfs, you can run any distro you’d like, I’m
> generally running Arch most of the time in mine. I find the rolling distro
> thing works hand in hand with Windows features that are under heavy
> development.
>
> Also, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1710) and previous had some gotchas
> about updates, in partcular bash and glibc tended to trigger a threading
> logic error, but Windows 10 1803 update that just came out addressed that
> and the last few other bugs I knew of in SFL. If you have to run Windows,
> at least you can have your tools handy.

That's good to know. When I was trying it out I think Ubuntu was the
only option. It's quite possible I didn't look any further than that,
since that's what I'm used to.

The early versions were pretty buggy, too. The main reason I switched
to tmux was that screen didn't work. I seem to recall emacs having
some issues as well. Pretty much anything involving D-Bus was
problematic.