Paul Walker on 27 May 2018 10:12:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] groan

The promulgation of advanced machine learning capabilities along with a ubiquity of sensors seem to present a lot of challenges. I'm not sure that there are good analogies (in general I've found that, as a software developer, analogies for software are rarely useful or lead to better understanding). Maybe the proliferation of roads and automobiles offers a comparable social situation? The amount of regulation and infrastructure deployed in response to the fact that basically anyone can own a car is pretty massive, but seems largely necessary to a maintainable system which, still, is responsible for a huge number of death and fatalities. I can only imagine that if there were no regulations on the manufacture, sale, or use of automobiles, that these numbers would be even higher. The highly technical and abstract nature of software and computing technology have obviously served as a smokescreen and a disinsentive towards regulation. Obviously this has allowed these technologies to advance very quickly - and this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do wonder if as a society we aren't in a place where we need to impose some limits based on civility on our technology. The GDPR jumps immediately to mind.