Will on 20 Dec 2018 23:19:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Git: net time gain or loss?

JP,

I am sorry if scared you so bad that every sequence of numbers on this mailing list makes you think of Europe's finest song ever. Even when counting up instead of counting down. But... I have one little excercise for you to complete some evening that I am QUITE curious how it may or may not impact your perspective and whether or not you like puzzles.

May I introduce... The git game. This game works best on Linux (not even a Mac), will frustrate you and teach you the ways of git... Without reading some tutorial ending with a node.js developer that looks on stack overflow to close vim. https://github.com/git-game/git-game

I've found that one link to be my single greatest training tool that doesn't require reading documentation that does not seem to make sense until the problem presents itself. I have used this git game to train many a Windows developer that swore by source safe to at least rely on the this tool to manage code until we came back home... And not stuck in a place like Kansas. I find command line tools (especially git) to be insanely powerful and beautiful... With quite possibly the most awful of experiences for the learning curve sometimes found even years later.

One large general git gripe I pose for this mailing list that surprisingly was done well with Visual Source Safe that I cannot replicate with svn, mercurial, or our beloved git. Working at a particular position, we had all of our projects for every customer and every release of our base application all in a single repository (feel free to cringe here with VSS that was not backed up for years). At the start of every project, we would pin the base application version while checking in new versions of our customers augmented custom code. I have not been able in any repository to pin parts of one branch to a single commit while allowing other parts to continue to function as a repo would normally all in the same branch. Effectively it was as if a single folder could be set manually to specific tags as everything else would move along with the head revision all in the same branch. While a neat feature, I can only assume I could not replicate the behavior with other tools as maybe the behavior that is so bad of an anti-pattern/worst practice that it could be considered just stupid and banned from ever being done in something like Git.

I would really be interested in how and curious by how messy it would be to have a single branch in git reference different commits from head in the same branch. I hate knowing that something could be done in VSS in the GUI without having a clue on how to do the same in Git. Even if that functionality maybe flat out banned by design for safety and integrity purposes.

-Will C

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 21:46 Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info wrote:
On 20/12/2018 21:23, Rich Freeman wrote:
> I dunno.  Sometimes I think the best way to punish the ignorant is to
> encourage them to continue in their ignorance.  If done well you can
> even get them to cut off their own nose out of spite!  :)

Unless you're trying to get people to use Linux. We all know what
happens when we talk about Linux too much.

--
Charlie "flying car connoisseur" Li