JP Vossen on 22 Dec 2018 12:57:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Git: net time gain or loss?

On 12/21/18 2:19 AM, Will wrote:
JP,

I am sorry if scared you so bad that every sequence of numbers on this mailing list makes you think of Europe's finest song ever. Even when counting up instead of counting down.

I'm not sure "scared" is the right word. "Scarred" maybe. But I don't think you are sorry at all... ;-)

But... I have one little exercise for you to complete some evening that I am QUITE curious how it may or may not impact your perspective and whether or not you like puzzles.

May I introduce... The git game. This game works best on Linux (not even a Mac), will frustrate you and teach you the ways of git... Without reading some tutorial ending with a node.js developer that looks on stack overflow to close vim. https://github.com/git-game/git-game

I've found that one link to be my single greatest training tool that doesn't require reading documentation that does not seem to make sense until the problem presents itself. I have used this git game to train many a Windows developer that swore by source safe to at least rely on the this tool to manage code until we came back home... And not stuck in a place like Kansas. I find command line tools (especially git) to be insanely powerful and beautiful... With quite possibly the most awful of experiences for the learning curve sometimes found even years later.

See? You guys keep proving my point with all the aliases/cheat sheets, hack-arounds and how to attempt to figure out Git without RTFM.

*I shouldn't have to do any of that crap,* it should Just Work so I can easily put my <whatever> under version control and move on.

I think Bzr and Hg do that, they are just drop-dead simple & friendly to use. Even SVN is more of a pain, because of the back-end repo, and the really screwy way it does...most everything. Git? Forget it.

Which would be *easier* to teach your grandma, Git, SVN, Bzr,or Hg?

"Better" is a different question, and Git & Github do have a good case there.

That said, this does sound interesting and I'll probably give it a shot over the holidays. Anything that I can use to get certain folks I have to deal with to use some kind of VCS is a Good Thing...

Thanks,
JP