Eric H. Johnson via plug on 9 Apr 2020 08:36:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dual booting Linux and Windows

Keith,

Making Linux the primary OS runs into the same problem. The fundamental problem is that Linux does not see the SSD and the BIOS doesn't seem to allow the settings necessary to see it. Under virtualization, the performance is actually worse than on the 5 year old machine it is replacing. This is particularly evident when playing videos. Not a huge problem since they can always be played from Windows, just not the ideal solution I was hoping for.

Regards,
Eric

Yikes... that's surprising.  Worrying about properly powered USB ports should not be a think in 2020 (though I confess I did purchase an inline USB power dongle last year so I could check such things after having concerns about some Chromebooks at the time).

Glad you got it working.  For what its worth... these days instead of dual booting, I just wipe Windows (or capture an image of it first), install Linux and then run Windows in virtualization.  I'm so rarely in Windows personally that it hasn't been worth it for at least 5 years now.  I know that's not the case for everyone but having M$ stuff virtually provides me with the ability to test things safely as well as manipulate user bare metal imagines.  When Windows get corrupt or blows up generally, its a 15 min burn-in plus another 5 minutes to create the user's account on computer.

I only mention that to say, if you ever want the reverse of what you are doing (i.e. Windows guest / Linux host) that probably can work for you too and it is not hard to do.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167