Joe Rosato via plug on 22 Oct 2020 16:21:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux mount of Windows share keeps dropping

Put it automount. If a network issue and you use it sparingly, it will mostly stay unmounted.. and then mount when you use it. Saw this while waiting in car (parked) so did not read the whole thread, if this was touched upon. Do a search, you just need to put the login/passwd in a credentials file.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020, 5:15 PM Walt Mankowski via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Keith via plug wrote:
> Ah... ok, the version thing definitely was/is a thing but I haven't had to
> use that trick in at least 10 years.  Structurally speaking what I'm going
> after is a refreshing of stale links.  The network connection is at a lower
> level than the user so, for instance, I use this same technique for
> "healing" SIP carrier connections for VoIP servers.  All you are doing is
> making sure the connection is available.  Your applications will have no
> knowledge of those lower level lower details.  Either apps can access files
> or not so this type of thing is benign (i.e. it fails silently if you are
> still connected).  Playing with the version numbers may yield some relief
> but typically with that solution it was about forcing the share protocol
> down to an earlier version.  1.0 might be too old so you may need to use
> something higher.

This morning I tried mounting it with every version listed in the
manpage for mount.cifs. 1.0 is the only one that worked.

Aside from that I'm not sure I understand what it is you're suggesting
I do. Remounting it requires entering both my local password (for
sudo) and my network password, so it would be tricky doing that via
something like cron.

Walt