Walt Mankowski via plug on 24 Jan 2021 15:39:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Change in Reply-To field of PLUG list on 7/14/2019...

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 06:22:07PM -0500, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 11:07 AM Walt Mankowski via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually I just discovered that Fastmail DOES handle mailing lists properly. If you're reading a message from a properly configured mailing list (like PLUG's) then there's a "Reply to list" button that sends the email to the list instead of the author! I'm using it to compose this email.
> >

> In general I've found that expecting everybody else to "do the right
> thing" isn't really a great solution.  Plus the "right thing" isn't
> always easy to define, especially when you have cross-posting, people
> CC'ed who aren't on the list, and so on.  The email client has no way
> to know which email addresses resolve to the same people.

That's why it's nice to have different options. On Fastmail I can use
"reply to list" when I want the reply to go just to the mailing list
(which is what I think most people will want the vast majority of the
time). Reply-all is still there in case in special cases like you
described.

Apple Mail, unfortunately, doesn't have a "reply to list" option so (I
think) the only option is to do reply-all and then manually change the
addresses.

> I generally use procmail to solve this issue.  It is pretty easy to
> configure it to discard duplicate emails based on message ID.

Procmail isn't an option since the messages stay on Fastmail's servers
and I access them via IMAP or their web mail UI. They've got a nice
set of rules (similar to procmail) to filter messages. It may be
possible to check duplicates, but I've never tried to set it up.

Walt