Rich Freeman via plug on 20 Dec 2021 12:15:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running out of disk space?

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Eric Lucas via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I run KDE and so "apt search kdirstat" turned up qdirstat (naturally) which does the same thing... and it's faster than windirstat which I ran on much smaller hard drives "back in the day".

Performance of this tool is going to vary based on filesystem, and how
many inodes it contains (or equivalent).  When it hits something like
a browser cache it can really crawl. Of course IOPS helps so running
it on an NVMe is going to be a much different experience than running
it on a hard disk.  inodes are cached, so a warm cache will also help
a great deal.

I don't think that windows filesystem performance is likely to be
particularly bad for something like windirstat, but I haven't seen
benchmarks.  You would need to do an apples to apples comparison.
Running the linux version on a filesystem with 100 large files and the
windows version on a directory tree with 5000 nested directories with
a million small files isn't a fair comparison even if the total size
is similar.  Likewise you can't compare an NVMe to a spinning disk.

--
Rich