Rich Freeman via plug on 21 Oct 2022 14:26:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 2:25 PM Keith via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I was the one who brought up QRP

Yeah, and to be fair I wasn't responding to the context of the thread.

> Apologies if you weren't talking to me but this is an increasingly
> active topic of conversation I find myself in these days .  There are
> many people who are concerned about the state of world today and do want
> to engage in more preparedness activities, including radio. I think this
> good thing.

Oh, I totally get it, and I think there is a very good chance that
I'll outlive the electrical grid and medical system.

I just see it as a higher priority to figure out why I'd want to live
in that world, otherwise I'll just be stockpiling a bunch of supplies
for somebody else to use if they ever are useful.  The reality is that
almost all my socializing is online, and almost all my
interests/hobbies/career/etc involve computers.  They're not going to
be sustainable without abundant electricity, and I really don't want
to go back to what my life was like when I could only talk to the
people around me.  So for me the bigger issue is coming up with a life
I'd want to live in before I prepare to live in it.  That isn't a
problem everybody has but I do think it is a good idea to think about
what you want your life to be like years after something bad happens
and make sure you're prepared for it.  That is something I try to give
some thought to and I guess for me that is more like step 0 of
prepping.

Obviously if you just want to be prepared if a hurricane hits and you
are without power for a few weeks that is a completely different
story, but a way to charge your cell phone might be more useful than a
QRP rig there...  :)

--
Rich