chapambrose on 19 Nov 2007 16:38:52 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Nov/Dec meeting

  • From: chapambrose <chapambrose@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Nov/Dec meeting
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:37:31 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:references:x-mailer; bh=diPmXjw/pA+zClrYObS6XrRNGlXKlN+6CsUbpaZl/tQ=; b=cveYOZqzbKd3yu0J7qVkIe29YdKUGb2X4coTeCWOkqTHQC91nZRErDzXhleCvoEoPfCBSjE/RhC8GEhoBOXfUgjeiMiabkPqik8RcfF5aW0slmWXkJ2i1MN+4uxom+qKkgWgskVx4pwvq+WA3tJy7XmtjvDFL5bxmFKauqU4KGM=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

As an interaction designer I was taught to research and understand the context of where your software is going to live, design the interface and test it with real users--refining it till it's as good as it can be; then pass it over to the programmers.

I learned you waste money when you start coding before you design. "Why hire programmers to code something you're not going to use, when you can just mock it up in photoshop instead?"

I'm not sure I agree with all that, but I find myself doing more and more coding with ruby on rails and taking on entire projects from start to finish. I'm interested in how I can use the Agile mantra to improve my process (but I'm still weary of writing any code until you've designed it all, it just seems like you'd be too attached to throw away something that's not working or unnecessary).

Also curious how agile works in a one/two man shop.

I'm a developer(pseudo) because I'm a designer who has no friends who can code.