Kevin Brosius on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:37:52 -0500

Wireless (was Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems)

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> At 7:55 PM -0500 12/10/00, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >(Wireless ethernet at the LISA conference was beautiful.)
>
>         Tell me about it!  The last couple of conferences that I've
> been too also have it up and running and it's amazing!

What were they using for wireless?

Has anybody tried the Ricochet/Metricom wireless service in the Philly
area?  They're selling modems for $99 until Dec 27, with monthly service
at $75-80 for 128kbps unlimited use.  Sounds pretty good compared to the
alternatives.  I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like you may
actually see 200K+ throughput on large downloads, while smaller packets
get lower performance due to latency in their wireless network
(architecture related.)  The show good coverage for center city, and
spotty coverage out here in the burbs.  Funny thing is, there's a 1 mile
swath covering my house, so I could use it at home.

Any experiences?

http://www.ricochet.com

--
Kevin Brosius