Rupert Heesom on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:50:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help with source after kernel update

Well, I didn't know what the ".config" file was that was mentioned, so I
did
the full make xconfig, make dep, make bzImage.

Then I ran the VMware setup script, and now it comes up with -

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel?
[/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.2.17) does not match your
running
kernel (version 2.2.17-14). Consequently, even if the compilation of the
module was
successful, the module would not load into the running kernel.

I'm obviously getting somewhere, but not far enough.  Now the only
difference in version
between my source & my running kernel is the "-14" on the end....that's
the sub-patch level,
right?

Now there's an RPM for the source of that exact kernel version, but it
doesn't install properly on my PC, so I'm trying to use the tarred files
from kernel.org.  The tarred file evidently doesn't give me the correct
kernel version now.

How do I get the "-14" from kernel.org?  From what I've gathered, the
patches only cater for the last of the 3 main numbers - "x.x.patch-x",
so I can't be sure that what I'm downloading from kernel.org is the same
version as the RPMs that I've found.

*** Stop Press -- UPDATE.

I tried redoing the kernel source from RPM. I previously couldn't find
an RPM module for the source on the redhat FTP site, but I found the
module on rpmfind.net .   I installed the RPM, which seemed to install
itself into the /usr/src directory fine because it recreated the "linux"
link that I deleted.

When I reran the VMware script, it found the kernel headers in a
different path -
"/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/build/include"  The script was then able to do
it's thing, and
build it's modules.

Guys, I _DON'T UNDERSTAND_ what's happened!!!

Why did the RPM source work when I couldn't get the tar source to work?
The only thing that seemed to be holding me back when using the TAR
source was the VERSION of the source, which brings me back to the
questions I was asking above...... Any ideas on that??

--
regs
rupert