Kevin Brosius on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:25:53 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help with source after kernel update

Rupert Heesom wrote:

> Well, I didn't know what the ".config" file was that was mentioned, so I
> did
> the full make xconfig, make dep, make bzImage.
>
> Then I ran the VMware setup script, and now it comes up with -

> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running kernel?
> [/usr/src/linux/include]
>
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.2.17) does not match your
> running
> kernel (version 2.2.17-14). Consequently, even if the compilation of the
> module was
> successful, the module would not load into the running kernel.
>
> I'm obviously getting somewhere, but not far enough.  Now the only
> difference in version
> between my source & my running kernel is the "-14" on the end....that's
> the sub-patch level,
> right?
>
> Now there's an RPM for the source of that exact kernel version, but it
> doesn't install properly on my PC, so I'm trying to use the tarred files
> from kernel.org.  The tarred file evidently doesn't give me the correct
> kernel version now.
>
> How do I get the "-14" from kernel.org?  From what I've gathered, the
> patches only cater for the last of the 3 main numbers - "x.x.patch-x",
> so I can't be sure that what I'm downloading from kernel.org is the same
> version as the RPMs that I've found.
>
> *** Stop Press -- UPDATE.
>
> I tried redoing the kernel source from RPM. I previously couldn't find
> an RPM module for the source on the redhat FTP site, but I found the
> module on rpmfind.net .   I installed the RPM, which seemed to install
> itself into the /usr/src directory fine because it recreated the "linux"
> link that I deleted.
>
> When I reran the VMware script, it found the kernel headers in a
> different path -
> "/lib/modules/2.2.17-14/build/include"  The script was then able to do
> it's thing, and
> build it's modules.
>
> Guys, I _DON'T UNDERSTAND_ what's happened!!!
>
> Why did the RPM source work when I couldn't get the tar source to work?
> The only thing that seemed to be holding me back when using the TAR
> source was the VERSION of the source, which brings me back to the
> questions I was asking above...... Any ideas on that??

Well, yeah...

The -14 is a Red Hat version of 2.2.17.  So unless you install the same
src rpm as the kernel you are running you have the risk of a mismatch,
as you found.  You could also build a kernel from the src tar file,
install it, and then install VMWare.  Then you would be running a
'stock' non-Red Hat kernel (2.2.17).  It looks like VMWare also has the
module version checking enabled, so it doesn't allow loading or building
of modules for a different version kernel.  The kernel code supports
turning off module version checking (allows loading of a module from a
different kernel version) although that isn't guaranteed to be stable.
You can image why VMWare might not like to support that...

--
Kevin Brosius