Rupert Heesom on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:36:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Help with source after kernel update

Thanks for clearing that up for me, guys; I'm slowly getting my head
around this new area for me.
I'm continually being "baptised by fire", suppose because I don't mind
jumping into things and seeing what happens (hopefully with a bit of a
safety net!).

Now I just need to get host-only networking up and running for my NT
VM....and then get it connected to my DSL net connection (which I
understand can be done via a proxy).

I'm going to try & get support from the VMware company because I think
my setup may be in a mess, but if there's any tips from the
guru's.....all contributions welcome.

BTW, I'm only running VMware's Samba server, not the proper one, but
because I have the DSL net connection, I'm not sure if I have the config
setup properly....the only setting I've put into the /etc/smb.conf file
is to the line "interfaces = <DSL IP / Subnet> <vmnet1 IP / host only
subnet>

VMware latest docs indicated that I should put my PC's real IP (DSL IP?)
into the smb.conf line "socket address".  I can only find the line
"socket options".   Do I need to add the other line in perhaps?

Apologies for all the additional questions.....my mind moving on.....

On 13 Feb 2001 09:25:46 -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 02:43:17AM -0500, Rupert Heesom wrote:

> BTW, the ".config" that we spoke of is the file that contains the
> configuration information for your kernel.  It's located in the top-level
> kernel source directory.  For example, if you have your kernel source in
> the /usr/src/linux directory, it'd be /usr/src/linux/.config -- it's a bit
> easier to redo things or make incremental changes to your config if you
> use the old .config, which may or may not be stored on your system
> somewhere.  (For example, if you use the kernel-package program in Debian
> to make .debs of your kernel image and modules, the kernel config file
> would be in /boot/config-X.Y.Z.  I don't know how other distributions
> handle this.)

Thanks for this tip....I looked in my /usr/src/linux directory, and did
find both a ".config" and ".config.old".

Do I understand correctly that when I do a "make xconfig", then I can
use the .config file to load into the xconfig prog the kernel previous
settings rather than resetting all the options?
If so, is the file name ".config" std convention?  I've previously saved
settings when playing around with the config program into a file called
"rupert".

--
regs
rupert