LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:29:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

If you are doing kernel compiles under redhat why not make a symlink in
/usr/local/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/kgcc ?  This way you won't have to edit
all the references to gcc in the top level make file, and there are sub
make files that also would have to be found and edited for their
references to gcc in the kernel source tree.

I would also remove the RH version of gcc and attempt to find a rpm for
	gcc_2.95.3 version.

The more I hear about RH the more thankful that i listened to Chris 5-6
years ago and put Debian on my system

Rupert Heesom wrote:

> Thanks all for the advice.  I've downloaded the 2.4.3 tar, I'll try it out with
>
> kgcc.
>
> It's a real shame about the gcc fisco on RH.  I thought they'd solved
> this with the updates...
>
> I've confirmed that I have gcc 2.96-96 installed, and kgcc 1.1.2-40
> installed, and this is after
> I've applied what I think is all the updates.  So, RH _does_ run the
> wrong gcc even now!
>
> --
> regs
> rupert