Mental on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:40:11 -0400

pointless semantic debate, was: Re: [PLUG] SuSE Sound Question

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:20:03PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:32:36PM -0400, Mental wrote:
> > Sloppy. Bad habit to get into. Right up there with xhost +localhost. I
> > hope you dont write code like that.
>
> And I've got nothing important on here.  Besides, if I get broken into,
> I'll just reinstall."  Including from you.  :)

Nothing wrong with that. But I dont give it out as advice. And I dont
recomend it as a course of action. If you're going to do something, do it
right or dont do it. While I dont actively chase the latest ac-XX pre
kernel, or compile the latest cvs version of gnome anymore I also dont
mangle things just to get them to go. Thats _why_ a reinstall will put
things back properly.

> But yes, the proper solution is mode 660 with group ownership being
> 'audio' or something like that.  What I did was if you're lazy and don't
> care if intruders make random sounds come out of your speakers.  :)

The problem is that new users dont see the distinction between It Works,
and It's Correct. Generally speaking bad habits are hard to break. You do
others a diservice by recomending a process that will break down if used
all the time. The big difference is that I know what the consequences of
my (in)actions are. Its an important distinction. Then again, the trend
lately has been quick fixes, there is a sound howto and a bunch of
docs/articles on this stuff. I suppose I'll just chill out and let the
chips fall where they may.

--
Mental