Chris Beggy on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:20:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian-netbsd

gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:08:39AM -0500, Chris Beggy  wrote:
>> I don't really care about installers. I was surprised that NetBSD
>> couldn't load a root file system/rescue file system into ramdisk
>> when booting over the network.
>
> Uh... that's exactly what NetBSD install media *does* do. Once in
> sysinst, hit ^C (or select "exit install system" or whatever it's
> called) and you're in sh on a working (although minimal) system. Is
> this not what you meant?

I'm splitting hairs here over sun's network boot sequence, which
isn't fair.  NetBSD does it the way sun does it; debian does it
their own way.  I can give you the details off line, if you like.

> You can use Luke Mewborn's new tool, makefs (part of the base system
> in -current, should be part of 1.5.3 when it's out, but don't
> quote

I have no doubt the NetBSD'ers can do this!  Thanks for the
pointer, and I'll know better than to use "can't" where I should
use "chooses not to in the interest of prioritization" when it
comes to NetBSD!

Chris